[NUS Module Review] SP1541: Exploring Science Communication Through Popular Science

SP1541: Exploring Science Communication Through Popular Science
(INTRODUCTION)
I might be wrong over here but this module is sorta compulsory for all Chemistry major students. So welcome to SP1541, also known as Gerald's favorite module of the semester. Okay, I really hold some sentiments to this module and if you read on, you'll know why.
Basically, this module is for all science (Physics, Chemistry, Life Science, Maths, Statisticians, Food Science...) students to be able to express their scientific discoveries in a way that normal people can understand. Do you ever remember coming across an article where they just write stuff you have no idea what they are talking about? For example:
You probably read that and when like "huh?!" If you're a science student and you're finding this difficult to understand, imagine how people who don't understand science feel:
So our job is to simplify those unknown chunks into words that people can understand. Think of this module as a Science translator.
Simple right? I mean if I can talk to my friends/girlfriends/boyfriends/parents about science-related stuff, this should be an easy A for me. Heh no!

(MY EXPECTATIONS)
I was one of those who thought that this module could be a breeze for me. Oops, sorrey!
And I've heard that this module requires lots and lots of class participation and I was already dreading this module before it even started because I'm not that kind of person who will raise his hand and answer questions willingly instead of the tutor calling you out.
With that said, when I saw the name list of the people in my class, I nearly wanted to drop this module entirely and wait till next year before taking it. For those of you who know me, you would have already known why and you would have understood my pain. Just a disclaimer that this should not be a reason why you shouldn't take this module. This module is still buckets of fun and I highly advocate in taking this module. Anyways... reading on.

(SCHEDULE)

This module has NO LECTURES at all. Personally, I think having no lectures is truly a right decision because this module is more applicable to be taught in a tutorial setting. It's like having lectures for GP...oh wait...*ahem IJC ahem*
However, SP1541 has a total of 2 tutorials per week, both 2 hours each. A required reading before each tutorial is necessary and highly recommended for discussion within the tutorial itself. These readings would either come from a storybook, like "A Brief History of Time ~ Steven Hawking" and "The Music of Primes", or from a science article. The science article or storybook would have some relation to the different fields of science. So as a Chemistry student myself, I will be exposed to Physics, Mathematics or food science articles, just to name a few.

(PASSING THE ASSESSMENT)
Just to let you know, from the moment you step into the classroom for tutorials to the moment you leave, your grades are at risk. This is because class participation and interaction are key in your final grading. So here is the breakdown of percentages:
  • Interaction and Engagement - 15%
  • Popular Science Article 1 - 20%
  • Reflective Commentary 1 - 5%
  • Popular Science Article 2 - 30%
  • Reflective Commentary 2 - 5%
  • Oral Presentation - 25%
For interaction and engagement, you HAVE to participate in every single class. Even if you're just bullshitting your answer, as long as you participate, you get marks. Okay please ignore that pervious comment, otherwise, your tutor will think that you're just faking it. To be safe, answer at least 2 - 3 times per lesson so that your tutor at least remember that you did participate.
Popular Science Articles 1 and 2 are simply articles that you have to write about. Articles must have somthing to do with a recent research paper and you have to simplify that research paper into something that is easier to understand. There are word limits for these articles so do adhere to them. SP1541 will give you a certain format to guide you in your writing. To score, you need to follow the format closely and make your article as INTERESTING AND INFORMAL as possible.
Reflective Commentary 1 and 2 are usually written after each popular science article. In there, you must write about why you decided to write in a certain way or use a certain tone. Simple right?
Lastly, the dreaded OP. Don't be surprised to see people really, really good or even people who really crack under pressure. Your OP topic will be based on one of the popular science articles you decided to write. So do make sure the article you write for your popular science article 1 and 2 is something that you would be able to TALK ABOUT, SHOW A SENSE OF INTEREST and ARTICULATE SCIENCE KNOWLEDGE.

(EXPERIENCE AND FINAL GRADING)
Okay remember in the earlier sections I did mention about why this module holds some sentiments to me? Here is why:
When I saw the name list of those who are in my class, I really wanted to drop this module totally and wait till next year before taking it because there was one guy in my class I particularly disliked. He was from my very own JC class and somehow we got what others call "bad beef" with each other. We never saw eye-to-eye and now, not only are we in the same major, but also the same class for the same freaking module. Oh the coincidence! And honestly speaking I was truly dreading doing my Oral Presentation in front of him. But still, I told myself that I can last 13 weeks with him. After all, this also meant that I have to force myself to outdo someone in my class. So I used this as my motivation to be better than him. And was I better than him in the end?? Hmm... :p
Competition aside, I really loved this module a lot. I participated in every single lesson as it was honestly very fun. You get to meet lots of new friends from other departments of Science through group work. 
There was nothing really too difficult about this module except perhaps the Oral Presentation. I honestly thought I've saw it all in GET1008 but noooooo... I was truly wrong. In my class, I've witnessed classmates with such swagger in their speaking that not even the best speaker in GET1008 could match up to that quality. I also witnessed people really having a nervous breakdown and you can really see and feel for them. It totally wasn't easy to watch at all. It was like watching a person trying to speak while spasming... Thankfully he got through it and did well. 
For me, I was really contemplating more on which topic to talk about from my two popular science articles; alcohol or dengue. In the end I did dengue and played it a little safer, rather than talking about alcohol, which has already killed me once in GET1008. I felt that apart from the clicker malfunction, which threw me way off guard and I nearly lost my pacing for my presentation, everything was fine. I incorporated humor and science to really bring out the fun in science. I felt that had I done a presentation about alcohol instead of dengue, it could have been really funny but it would have resulted in some content tragedy, so I thought otherwise. 
Special shout out to Ms Owyong! A splendid tutor with no bounds of joy and understanding. She encourages students to speak up even when it was getting horrendously awkward. And as all tutors should, she was very tolerating to even the weaker students and only wants the best from our class. 

(CONCLUSION AND TIPS)

I highly recommend this module, even if it's not compulsory. It really helps you to communicate Science better and there are lots of takeaway after completing this module, unlike other modules where you just forget everything after a month.
Just a tip though: For your practice OP, do not show your hidden weapon meant for the real OP. Even though the practice OP is for you to gain the right confidence and have a gauge of how you should speak for the real OP, your classmates are eagerly waiting to copy your techniques and it will be useless if everyone has the same weapon as you do. This did happen to me and I'm sad. :(


Ratings out of 5⭐:
  • Rigor - ⭐⭐
  • Degree of doability - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Bell Curve (to favour you) - ⭐⭐

Comments