[NUS Module Review] CM1191: Experiments In Chemistry 1

CM1191: Experiments In Chemistry 1
(INTRODUCTION)
Welcome to my version of hell; hell in Chemistry. It is the module where you need to be in a lab, wearing a lab coat for close to 6 hours a week, doing an experiment only to chiong Pro-forma (lab worksheet) for submission the very next day. Okay, actually this isn't as bad as future lab modules like CM2191, CM2192...etc. But you get how sian this module will be for some of you who hate long hours and rushing the graded lab worksheet.
But like all science modules, welcome to the hands-on part of Science, Chemistry style: CM1191.

(MY EXPECTATIONS)
Ugh, if there is one thing I dislike more than Physical Chemistry, its lab. Since secondary school, I've always felt like lab was such a painful ordeal to go through. Don't get me wrong, I love doing experiments and watch magic just happen in front of my eyes. If only we can have experiments that can make you forget about your ex in one day... Hais... Hehe, I'm kidding.
Since I took lab in Semester 2, I've heard some of my friends say that it is fun but really tiring so I guess I expected the same.
This module will cover experiments involving all 3 parts of Chemistry: Physical, Inorganic and Organic. And yes, I hated the Physical Chemistry experiment the most. 

(SCHEDULE)
So based on what I've heard, CM1191 will only be held in Semester 2 only from now onwards. And tutorial (lab) slots are pre-allocated, so you must work your schedule around the lab date and plan accordingly. *They might change this to a ballot format, so do take note*
As mentioned earlier, lab sessons are 6 hours a week, but since there will be only 6 experiments throughout the module, you are spared from the total destruction of your soul for some weeks. Hehe I'm kidding lah, lab ain't that bad :p.
There will be lectures before every lab session, usually held early on Mondays for about 2 hours. Don't forget to buy coffee! If you forget it's fine because the lectures are web-casted. *Wink*

(PASSING THE ASSESSMENT)

Here's the breakdown of the percentages:
  • Continuous Assessments [Pre-lab quiz + Pro Forma] - 8% x 5 lab experiments = 40%
  • Continuous Assessments [Pre-lab quiz + Short Report] - 10% x 1 lab experiment = 10%
  • Viva Voce [Oral Exam] = 20%
  • Final Exam [Short Structured Questions] = 30%
Pre-lab quizzes are COMPULSORY to do and ARE GRADED as part of the 8% and 10% respectively. Usually, these quizzes will be released right after the lectures on Monday and its due on Friday WITHIN THE SAME WEEK AT 12PM. So you snooze, you lose! :P
Pro-forma should not be a problem unless you have close to no idea what you're doing half the time...🙋🙋 yup, that's me. This is due the DAY AFTER YOUR LAB SLOT AT 12PM, unless otherwise stated. Late submissions are not entertained.
Short Reports are pretty hard and they follow a certain format. This format is strict and detailed to the very spacing and fonts you use. Usually, short reports are due 1 WEEK FROM YOUR LAB SLOT. But again, it varies accordingly.
Viva Voce is done in pairs. And basically its just a conversation with your tutors on a certain lab experiment. So its more of an interactive conversation and not a presentation. This is to test your understanding on even the smallest of details. You and your partner are supposed to choose a card face down and each card represents an experiment you have done. If you dislike the experiment you have chosen, you can throw it and pick another one. BUT BE WARNED: Once you throw away, you cannot take it back. So gamble wisely. Otherwise, Viva Voce is quite fun and you do learn a lot although you'll get nervous knowing how your grades are on the line if you are unable to answer the questions.
The final exam focuses on LAB TECHNIQUES AND CONCEPTS rather than the experiment itself. So things like Linest, Hazard signs, centrifugation process...etc will be tested. Lemme tell you first that this isn't easy, or at least I didn't think it was. 

(EXPERIENCE AND FINAL GRADING)
Oh damn, where do I even start? I think this module is where I have like the most stories to tell.
First of all: Pre-lab Quiz. Now if you read the section above, you will know how pre-lab quizzes are so damn important. Yet, people forget about it. And yes, add me to the bucket list of forgetfulness. I forgot about it twice...TWICE!!!! Luckily, during the first time I forgot about it, it was around 11.40am on Friday. I was scrolling Snapchat happily in my room when I saw one of my friend's snap stories consisting of something related to the pre-lab quiz. I rushed to my laptop and did my pre-lab within 13 minutes. So God bless you my friend for saving me a part of my grade. The second time I forgot was at 12.30pm. I realized it because I felt that I didn't do something but didn't know what it was. And I could have sworn my balls literally dropped when I finally realized I forgot.
The feeling wasn't great guys so don't ever forget doing this.
Second: Experiment Time. I'm a pretty slow learner. I learn things faster by reading things continuously. So before each lab, I would read the lecture notes and the experiment notes to get a feel of what I'm actually doing. But to say the least, half the time I have really no idea what I'm doing, or why I'm doing a certain thing during the experiment itself. It's only after doing the whole experiment that I realize what in the world I'm doing and when you're doing such experiments, knowing what you're doing after actually doing the experiment is a big no-no. 
Lastly: Viva Voce. We took a card that we kinda disliked, but we didn't retake another card in the fear of getting a worse experiment from the one we got. And after 5 minutes of preparation, we began. Both me and my partner thought that we needed to run through the experiment once and hopefully cover some ground before the tutor starts to ask us questions. Instead, it only took about 5 seconds of us talking before we were asked to stop talking by our tutor to answer questions. And those questions were not even tough, it was instead unexpected. Questions that you least expect and questions you felt that there was no answer to are the questions that they will ask. For example: Why did you use a volumetric flask instead of a beaker or conical flask? Of course, we were both stunned by those questions and we were just bombarding answer after answer in the hope of getting it right. In the end, we handled all the answers calmly and correctly, even to the point where the tutor said we did pretty well.  


(CONCLUSION AND TIPS)
I guess to really do well for this module, it truly boils down to knowing what you're doing and having fun doing it at the same time. This will help you get through the long hours of lab and doing well in your Pro-formas, reports and Viva Voce.
Keep in mind that for Viva, avoid looking at the questions thrown to you with a narrow mind. Think broader and somehow even the weirdest answer could be the correct answer.
Lastly, I shall commend Dr Chong Yuan Yi and Dr Jeremiah Chen for being really great lecturers and tutors. They really do make you think for an answer than just give you an answer directly and I guess you do really learn better through this. 


Ratings out of 5⭐:
  • Rigor - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Degree of doability - ⭐⭐⭐
  • Bell Curve (to favour you) - ⭐⭐⭐

Comments