[NUS Module Review] GEH1049/GEK1900: Public Health In Action

GEH1049/GEK1900: Public Health In Action

(INTRODUCTION)
Welcome to one of the most popular GEH modules...so popular that it cost me 227 bid points. But I still got it in the end and if you managed to get this module then congrats, the bid points are that high for a reason. Why? Because (A), there is no final exam. (B), there are no tutorials. (C), you can sleep in lectures and still do well (not that I did this ;D). (D) Assignments are relatively easy to do. (E) It's a chillax module, so why not right?

(LECTURERS)
There aren't any fixed lecturers for this module. Every week, there will be a new guest lecturer from some hospital, some faculty or some medical facility. Most of the lecturers were pretty much just average in my opinion. Maybe because they weren't actual lecturers, or maybe because the lessons were held at 9am and they're too sleepy to teach...who knows? The only lecturer that was really decent (and funny/entertaining/captures your attention) was Prof Chia Kee Seng. Sadly, he only conducted 1 lecture and did not appear for any subsequent lectures. But he was really that good. If you manage to have him conduct one of your lectures, do appreciate his lectures instead of falling asleep. Because he is head and shoulders above the rest of the lecturers. 

(EXPANSION OF TOPICS COVERED)
The topics covered include:
  • Communicable Diseases
  • Breast Cancer
  • AI
  • Disability
  • Ageing
  • Obesity
  • Maternal and Child Health
  • Genomics
Out of all the topics, only Maternal and Child Health, Disability and Breast Cancer were quite interesting. The rest were either topics that you either heard a 100 times before like obesity, or topics which you have close to 0 interest in like AI (Personal Opinion). But just to be honest here, most of the time a lecture can be made interesting or boring by the lecturer instead of the contents of the topic.

(SCHEDULE)
As mentioned earlier, there are only lectures for this module. However, the lectures are 3 hours long in a single session. The lecture is broken down into 3 parts; the lecture on the specific topic, a group report assignment, discussion. The 3 parts usually span of an hour each.  

 (PASSING THE ASSESSMENT)
Given that this module is so so popular because  it is pretty slack, plus there is no finals, you can expect that the grading for the module to have a steep bell curve. In any case, here is the breakdown of the different grading components of the module:

  • Pre-reading quizzes: 5%
  • Group Reports (To be done during the lecture time slot) + Peer Evaluation: 30% 
  • Assignment 1: 25%
  • Assignment 2: 40%

You are required to do a short reading on one article before every lecture. Before the lecture starts, the lecturer/course coordinator will flash a question (True or False Only) for only 30 seconds before the question disappears. You are to answer the question through an SMS system immediately. Read the next part to find out what happened to me when I didn't answer immediately. :) DO NOT BE LATE FOR THE LECTURE!!!

After the lecturer fishing talking about a certain topic, he/she will show a question(s) and your group will have about an hour to brainstorm, write a report with proper citations and submit to Turnitin. You will be graded from 0 - 3 marks depending on how well or how badly the report was written.


At certain points of the semester, you will be tasked to complete the peer-evaluation. Take this seriously because the lecturers will know if you are doing it properly or not and will grade accordingly.


Assignment 1 and 2 are just individual reports to be done at certain points of the semester. You will be taught how to use the socio-ecological approach, which is important in answering the questions. Since these two components cover 60% of your entire grade, this will likely be the determining factor of your final grading for this module.



(EXPERIENCE AND FINAL GRADING)
I honestly felt that I really didn't like the experience of this module as a whole after Prof Chia's lecture. Simply because no lecturer was able to reach to his level of teaching and enthusiasm on Public Health. The topics were generally interesting, but was let down by the execution of them. Nonetheless, it was no regrets taking GEH1049, because the rest of the GEH modules didn't appeal to me. I found this module a good alternative to all the cores I'm studying.

I really didn't read the pre-article before the lecture mostly because I've forgotten to. However, the questions were generally doable and easy to answer, despite not reading the pre-article. There was one day when NUS had a massive jam from PGP to Kent Ridge MRT. And so I knew I was going to be slightly late for the lecture. Luckily my group had a group chat and so I literally texted them to send me the question so that I can do it. One of them did so (bless your kind soul), and I managed to answer the question on time.


One time, there was an error in the SMS system. I couldn't send my answer at 9.06am (The question was shown at 9.06am). However, I did manage to send at 9.07am. I thought like "Heng ah! Managed to send on time." But nooooo, it was given a 0 mark in IVLE. So I had to email the IVLE people to gimme my earned mark, all for that one minute lapse. Of course, I needed to show proof that I submitted at 9.06am. Hence, that's why I say the timing is very important.


Assignment 1 and 2 are just like any other report. But the story I want to share with you is about a guy in my group that literally free ride the entire module. I mean free riding is common in any education system, especially in Uni. So when it's time to do the group report, his cursor would just be stagnant at one spot. Occasionally, his cursor would change spots and remain stagnant there. Sometimes I do wonder if the other members of my group actually noticed his free riding, but since there was a peer review section.....💁💁*The truth will unveil itself my friend* Seriously guys, please do not be like him. 


Overall, the module is really doable. Its just essay writing, no right or wrong answer either. In the end, I think I did rather okay. Not complaining much since I really wanted to do this module. Again could've done better, but that's just life.



(CONCLUSION AND TIPS)

One simple rule and that is YOU MUST BE PUNCTUAL!! The rest of the components are really hugely dependent on your group mates and your individual effort to do well. To be honest, 1/2 of the people in the lecture hall were fast asleep within the first 30 minutes of the lecture. Not that I'm part of the sleeping crew, but I'm just justifying why this module is popular in the first place. :)


Ratings out of 5⭐:
  • Rigor - ⭐⭐
  • Degree of doability - ⭐⭐
  • Bell Curve (to favour you) - ⭐⭐

Comments

  1. Hi! Are the groups by random or self-chosen? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The groups are chosen at random. Not sure if you could request the lecturer to change group though. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! Are the groups by random or self-chosen? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, are the lectures assigned to you by random or do you have to bid for the lecture slot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I'm taking it this sem and I was wondering if you have any notes from this module to share? It would be a great help, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i do have some materials that could help. Do you have an email?

      Delete
    2. Could you send me too! Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Here's my email : Candynancy01@gmail.com. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
    4. Hi Michael, do you have an email?

      Delete
    5. Hi Candy, have already sent to you through your email. Kindly do check :)

      Delete
    6. Hey Gerald, received with many thanks!

      Delete
    7. Hey Gerald, could you send me too? cfthere@gmail.com Thank you!!

      Delete
    8. Hi! Do check your email ya! Sent already

      Delete
    9. Hi, could you kindly send the materials to me as well at surfaceglitter@gmail.com? I will be taking this mod soon and your materials will definitely help me in my revision. Thank you!!!

      Delete
    10. Hello! Could you please send the materials to me too at jingying_01@hotmail.com as I am considering whether to take this module and may take it ! thank you so much will gladly appreciate it ! :)

      Delete
    11. Hello surfaceglitter and jingying, kindly check your emails :)

      Delete
    12. hi can i hv some of the notes too :') my my email is ningxuan2000@gmail.com ! wld rly appreciate it !!

      Delete
    13. Hi can i have some notes too? thanks!!
      trollingck4276@gmail.com

      Delete
    14. hi can I have some notes too, if you're still ok with sharing! thanks a lot :)
      btechnicolour@gmail.com

      Delete
    15. Hi all, do check your emails. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Gerald! Taking the mod this sem. Could you send me any material that might help? Thanks a bunch :) My email is wesley.chiawl@gmail.com. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi wondering if you are still okay with sharing your notes!
    Email: chiaxuan624@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gerald! I was wondering if you can share your notes!
    Email: chainee012@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, please check your email :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Gerald! I am taking the mod this semester and was wondering if you could share your notes please? shermainephang98@gmail.com

      Also can I ask if the assignments were easy to score?

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Shermaine, do check your email yea! The assignments were easy to do. As for scoring, most people end up doing average from what I remembered. A few stood out but those were people who had heavy interest in Public Health and not casual PH module takers.

      All the best! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Gerald! Thanks for your review! I found it really helpful! If you don't mind, could you please share your notes with me too?
    Email: sreyamahe@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gerald, thank you for the informative review! May I know if you are ok sharing your notes with me? :)
    Email: tricy326@hotmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the sharing, really appreciate it. Are you able to share the related content with me please :D. Thanks alot!
    Email: thesy35@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gerald, great write up on the review, I am actually quite interested, do you mind sending your notes as well! Thanks.
    Email: davinchow97@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gerald, appreciate if you may send a copy of your notes please. Thank you! :)
    Email: ongweexian854@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gerald! Thanks for this informative review! Also, may i have a copy of your notes? Thank you!
    Email: moonballex@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gerald! Possible to share your notes as well? Thank you!

    j-unwei@live.com

    ReplyDelete

  15. Hi Gerald! Could you share your notes with me too? Thanks!!
    Email: tammietyl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Gerald, could you share with me your notes? I'd be so grateful if you could. Thank you:)

    email: cookie.ruth@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Kindly check your email :) thanks

      Delete
  17. Hi Gerald, thanks for sharing! Would it be possible for you to share your notes with me? My email is: raybingun1000@gmail.com
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gerald! Thank you for the review! Can you share with me your notes too? I'll really appreciate it if you could. Thank you :D Email: jinyeyeo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Gerald, thanks for the review. Do you mind sharing with me your notes too? Thank you!

    Email: b777rocks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Gerald, awesome write up! would you be able to share your notes? my email's ashlim5001@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gerald, thank you for sharing! Could you share your notes with me as well? My email is 1am91nk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hii Gerald!! Super appreciate your effort in writing this review to share with us with experience^ Is is possible for you to share with me your lecture notes/ notes for this module as well ? Would really appreciate it a lot!! Thank you in advance :)
    My email is draconleagueoflegend@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello, could u send me the materials too? at pink_lilin@hotmail.com
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Gerald! Thank you for the informative review on GEH1049. It clarified some of my problems I have when choosing the mod. If it is ok with you, would it be possible for you to share your materials with me? Thank you :))
    Email: kpydonkey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello!! thank you for your review, could you kindly send me your materials too? my email is reindeersky8@gmail.com !! thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hello! do u mind sharing the materials?? my email is umergta@gmail.com ! Thanks you so much! really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi, i was wondering if you are still willing to share the materials as i am taking this module. My email is saghirkhan96@gmail.com. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank You for your review of this module, it has been very helpful! Will it be okay to share the materials? My email is mochalatte2402@gmail.com. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello Gerald! Thank you for your review of this module - I'm planning to take this module during this semester. If it's okay with you, could you please share the materials with me? Thank you so much!!
    Email: tlim8299@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Gerald! really liked the review :) helped me in making the decision to take this module. Could you kindly share your materials with me? Thank you very much!
    qichao.rocmoc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there!Really loved the insights that you have provided for this module.Would you mind sharing your materials? Thank you so much:) My email is dolionlee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Gerald, thank you for this review! I am interested in taking this module this sem and was wondering if you're alright with sharing some of your materials from this course as I would like to know more about the content involved :)
    My email is isamoo06.13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. hello! thank you for the review! i've actually decided to take on this mod this sem after reading your review. is it okay for you to share the materials/notes? greatly appreciate it! my email is trixibelle00@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Gerald, thank you for your review! I chose this mod over another with the help of your review. Could you kindly share your materials with me as well? Really appreciate it! pineapplexuan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Gerald, thank you for your review of this module! It was really helpful! I'll be taking this module this semester. Would you mind sharing your materials/ notes with me as well? Thank you so much! :) my email is serhui13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Gerald, thanks for the review! I'm taking the mod this sem and would like to ask if you would be willing to share your materials with me too? My email is peng.kangxiong23@gmail.com. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Gerald, thanks for reviewing this module! I am currently taking the module this sem and would if you are willing to share your materials with me? Thanks so much! My email is: matthewc1989ts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. hi gerald do you mind sending me the notes :zoiachowze@gmail.com. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Gerald! omg i just saw this review XD. I am also taking the mod this sem, do you mind sharing your notes with me? Here's my email: shixiaoxuan007@gmail.com. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi there! Thanks for the review! My final review quiz is coming soon so it would be nice if you could share your notes with me too :) Thanks in advance and here's my email: bobh8823@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello! Thank you for the informative review.
    I'm considering to take this module this semester. Would you mind sharing your notes with me? Thank you in advance! Here is my email: kayiongky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi, I’ll be taking this module next sem too, would you be kind enough to share your notes? Thank you so much! My email is zhishan334@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi, thanks for the review. I am planning to take this module oncoming semester. Would it be possible to share your notes with me? Here is my email: marcus.quek.mq@gmail.com.Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello, thank you so much for sharing your in-depth review, it definitely helped me in making my decision! Would you be willing to share your notes & materials with me please? My email is: jingxuanlee99@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello, thanks for your detailed review! I am planning to take this module this coming semester, would you be willing to share your notes with me? Thank you so much! My email is crystalau20@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi could you send your notes to me at tjiale99@gmail.com? Greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi! I really liked the review :) helped me in making the decision to take this module. Could you kindly share your materials (files/folder) with me? Thank you very much!
    unistuff.nus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi thanks for the review! Could you email me your notes to nathanbp2399@gmail.com? Greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello Gerald! thank you for this honest review. I am looking to take this module for next semester. Would you be willing to share your notes? my email is hainingferng@gmail.com. greatly appreciate it and thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi! I'm intending to take this module in the upcoming sem and would greatly appreciate if you share your notes with me :") my email is themingqueen@gmail.com Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi, I liked your review:) thanks for sharing some valuable tips with us. I would be taking this module for the incoming semester, would you be willing to share your notes:) Thanks very much:) My email is wenshang123@gmail.com. Appreciate it and thank you have a nice day ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi thanks for the detailed review! Could you email me your notes to endi1222@gmail.com please? Thank you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi thank you for the detailed review! I am considering to take up the mod this sem and would greatly appreciate it if you could share your notes with me at jeremyloopingheng@gmail.com. Kamsahamnida!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. hi idk how the comments work as ive nvr rly commented on stuff before but i wld rly appreciate it if you cld share some of your notes w me ! my email is ningxuan2000@gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi is it okay if i could get your notes as well?
      Email; Pranaavv15@gmail.com

      Delete
  55. hi, im intending to take this mod for the upcoming sem and i would greatly appreciate if you could share your notes with jiayingtbc@gmail.com? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. hello! I would like notes too, my email is singxuanxuan@gmail.
    com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hello! Thank you so much for the review! It is so useful to me! Would you mind sending me the notes too? My email is: wanqiwong3@gmail.com. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. hi, im intending to take this mod for the upcoming sem and i would greatly appreciate if you could share your notes with barryangbj2001@gmail.com? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Onebisevka_Baltimore Barbara Jones There
    Software
    deretotask

    ReplyDelete
  60. Heyy, im intending to take this mod and i would greatly appreciate if you could share your notes with noshshaikh25@gmail.com? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your views :)