[NUS Module Review] GET1008 / GEM2027: Public Speaking and Critical Reasoning


For this and the next few module reviews, I will be using the "IMSPEC" framework to talk about a certain module. For those who don't know what "IMSPEC" stands for:
(I)ntroduction
(M)y Expectations
(S)chedule
(P)assing the Assessment
(E)xperience and final grading
(C)onclusion and Tips

GET1008 / GEM2027: Public Speaking and Critical Reasoning
(INTRODUCTION)
In a nutshell, this module surrounds speaking in front of a class based on a certain genre. Many people experience nervousness while speaking so this module serves to help the, overcome this boundary. This module runs in both semesters, though it is more popular in the first semester than the second as many students, especially the year ones, love to harness this skill early for future semesters.

**Update: Refer to this link for tips to score well in this module, as well as to improve in  your public speaking https://youtu.be/bFRGeJHe7Qw I have made this video specially for you to cope with this module. Do like, subscribe and comment for any module you wish to see me do next.**
(MY EXPECTATIONS)

This was one of the modules that made me super excited yet nervous at the same time. I was never a confident speaker beforehand and always flopped badly when it came to presentations in primary and secondary school so I really wanted to change all of that immediately. I mean, it's just a module about speeches; as long as you say it, your job is done... right? Wrong...


(Schedule)
There are lectures every alternate week, around 2 hours long. Lectures are important and are highly recommended to attend because if I'm not wrong there isn't any web lecture. Furthermore, there may be (depending on your own learning habits) information useful to you in those lectures. However, lecture notes are enough for any required information. What's most important is the tutorials. Though it's only once (2 hours) per week, make-up tutorials are highly discouraged as your tutors will not be the same and thus unable to judge your progress. 

(PASSING THE ASSESSMENT)
Remember when I said it's just a module of speeches... I was totally wrong. There are a total of 6  speeches; 4 graded and 2 ungraded. These make up a total of 55%. There's still a module reflection of 15%, an MCQ + written test making up a total of 20% and 10% for class participation. So even if you know how to speak well, technically its still pretty useless. Regardless, you really would want to ace all the speeches. The 6 speeches are:
  1. Demonstrative Speech
  2. Epideictic Speech (5 mins) - 5%
  3. Informative Speech (6 - 8 mins) - 15%
  4. Persuasive Speech (7 - 9 mins) - 20%
  5. Responder Critique (5 - 6 mins) - 15%
  6. Impromptu Speech
Sounds easy but do not be fooled. Not only are you graded on how you speak but you're also graded on how you write your speech. Yes... you need to submit what you're going to talk about. So if you speak well but write crap, you'll get crap results. It's as simple as that. It is very important to follow closely to their given template because it helps a lot in generating ideas as well as assisting yourself in segregating your points. 
Tutors will look strictly at your content, the flow of speech while speaking and most importantly, emotion. How you gonna do all that in that given time frame? The answer to that is practice.


(EXPERIENCE AND FINAL GRADING)
 Overall, I guess my experience with this module was generally quite good. My first graded speech (epideictic speech) was so so bad. I took a different type of speech compared to the rest of the class. Everyone did a commemorative speech (talking about someone they look up to), while I did a speech where I accepted an award. It was so cringe-worthy as I brought my props (trophy) and started literally indirectly praising myself. Even though it made the class, including my tutor laugh, it got me a barely passable grade.
For my second speech (informative speech), I turned it up a notch and decided that playing it safe wouldn't help me one bit. So I went against all norms and talked about how GAMING IS GOOD FOR YOUUUU!!! YES, THAT'S RIGHT! I TOTALLY SUPPORT GAMING. By far, it was the best speech of my entire module and got second highest in the cohort. Maybe one day I'll upload this speech into my Youtube channel (let me get my blog right first lol).
For my third and forth speeches (persuasive and responder = pretty much back to back speeches), this is the moment where everyone starts to get really good. And I really mean God - mode good. I made a mistake speaking about how alcohol is bad when really I should have talked about the opposite. For these speeches, the time-frame to prepare is really really short so you just have to make do with whatever time you have to prepare. I didn't think I did that well but it's not too bad I guess. You really need to bring your A - game here because the competition is rigorous at this point.
After every speech, you got to start preparing for the next one immediately. Because before you know it, you have another speech due. It is that fast.
Dress formally (just like how you would for an interview).

(CONCLUSION AND TIPS)
I think I did pretty well considering I competed against the likes of a class made up of arts and foreign students. They have such a flair for speaking and it has really been an awesome and enriching experience to know them. My tutor, Ms Farah, is and always will be the most charismatic tutor that I will probably ever meet. So if you ever get her as your tutor, you're already one lucky person. 
The key to really do well in your speeches is to:
1. Practice - You can never get away with this. I spent hours practicing again and again and again, constantly tweaking and changing my speech as I go along. This is also the best time to practice your emotions.
2. Learn to love what you're speaking - You need to feel comfortable with that speech, not just say it because it has all the points to prove your stand. It really shows a person enjoying that speech and a person who says it for the sake of saying it.
3. Make everyone remember you - You ain't the only one speaking. Your tutor ain't going to just listen to your speech. Leave an impact and show them what you're made of. Sometimes being an idiot out there is indirectly helping you.
4. Slides - Needs to be simple yet impactful. 
I will probably do another blog on my experience before, during and after my speech/presentation. I can safely say that this is an unforgettable journey and I've learned a lot in this module.
Till this date, this is the best module that I've ever done. Highly recommended for people with low confidence and want to get rid of their stage fright.

Ratings out of 5⭐:
  • Rigor - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Degree of doability - ⭐⭐⭐
  • Bell Curve (to favour you) - ⭐⭐⭐





https://youtu.be/bFRGeJHe7Qw

Comments

  1. good writeup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, would you be able to share with me any material you have for GET1008?
    Be it notes, tips, research, speeches, vids, etc.
    My email is daaniellim@gmail.com if that helps :)
    Thanks a lot in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Please check your email! I've contacted you there :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Gerald, do you mind sharing with me your materials as well if you don't mind? :)
      My email is: kwajielin@gmail.com
      Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
    3. Donez. Do check your email.

      Delete
  3. Hi could you share your materials with me as well? My email is ashleyr@gmail.com. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, I have replied your email :) do check it out

      Delete
  4. Dear Gerald, could you share me your material as well. Thank you in advance.

    Email: deckson91@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaps no probs. Hope the materials will help you :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the write-up, sounds like a lion's den im heading to. Would you mind sharing your materials, if you don't mind of course.

    email: alexteokj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, please kindly check your email :) thanks

      Delete
    2. Hi! This mod sounds interesting. I plan to take it next sem if NUS still conduct face to face lectures:) Could you share materials to me as well? my email is t.qu@u.nus.edu

      Delete
    3. Hi, please check your email :)

      Delete
    4. Hi! This mod sounds interesting. I plan to take it next sem if NUS still conduct face to face lectures:) Could you share materials to me as well? my email is kfwken@gmail.com

      Delete
    5. Hi, do check your email!

      Delete
  6. Man i wish this module is pass/fail so that there is no fear of failure and that you can enjoy the learning process more and try different styles of speaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you. I think it applies to other mods as well. But I think the trick for this module is to really love what you are presenting. Sometimes how you feel about a certain topic could push you on to being able to deliver it the way it should be delivered. And unknowingly you will be able to learn the module better and enjoy this module. I enjoyed this module because I loved what I spoke about so maybe you can try something similar :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Gerald! thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review about this module :) would you mind sharing your course materials? My email is tohjiamin123@gmail.com, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, kindly refer to your email. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi could you share your materials with me as well? My email is ngsabrina1999@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Thank you for your sharing, it's really helpful! :D Would you mind sharing your course materials with me? My email is sunnyxrain98@gmail.com, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi! this was an amazing review :) would it be okay for me to ask for your course materials too? am interested in this module and would like to know even more~

    email: E0563893@U.NUS.EDU

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gerald, i am really glad to see you and couple of other seniors who put in so much effort to review the modules you guys have took to guide the ones who are taking the same module in future. Do share with me your notes if you dont mind, my email is steve_chan@live.com.sg. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thank you for your module review! May consider bidding for this module. If you don't mind, can you share the course materials with me? My email is ssarahleelh@gmail.com, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey thanks for the informative write up!! Do you mind sharing your notes with me at gammondevon@gmail.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, kindly check your email

      Delete
    2. Hi Gerald, could you kindly share your notes with me too (: thank you emmaoh88@gmail.com

      Delete
  14. Hi could you kindly share with me your notes as well! Thank you :) jielin.kwa@u.nus.edu :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the write up and the video which you uploaded! Don't mind could you share with me your notes as I'm taking them this sem, thankyou! Email: tchcrei@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, please check your mail

      Delete
    2. Hi thanks for the write up! Could you share your notes with me as well? Thanks! My email is xavierlimjr@gmail.com

      Delete
  16. Hi thanks for the write up! Could you share your notes with me as well? Thanks! My email is xavierlimjr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi thanks for the informative write up! Could you share your notes with me as well? Thank you. My email is e0235171@u.nus.edu

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, thank you for the module review. Do you mind sharing your materials as I'm taking this module this sem? My email is rachelreno11@gmail.com Thank you :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Gerald, thank you so much for this informative review!! Could you share your materials with me as well? Email:jiazhi.chua@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gerald! Thank you so much for your reviews. Could you share your materials with me as well? My email is e0420522@u.nus.edu :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gerald thanks for the review. Could you kindly share the materials? My email is prelovedsingapore48@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for the insightful review Gerald! Really interested in taking this module next sem! would you mind sharing your materials with me as well? My email is blastbeeb@gmail.com thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Could you please share your materials with me as well? My email is niratdagreat@gmail.com Thank you!! Also I found your review extremely insightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, thanks for the module review! I do have really bad stage fright when it comes to public speaking and I'm interested in taking this module to help with that. Do you mind staring your materials with me as well? My email is kneeveey@gmail.com Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Gerald, thank you so much for the module review! I bid for this mod at the last minute on ModReg and somehow got it and was contemplating dropping it as I thought I might not be able to do well in it but after reading your review I'm starting to have second thoughts of dropping it as it really sounds quite interesting and I feel like I might enjoy it, so thank you for giving me more insight into this module! :D If it is possible, could you also share your materials with me as well? I appreciate all the help! My email is juliettechua@u.nus.edu :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm glad you didn't drop. I've sent the stuff to your email. Do check. :)

      Delete
  26. Hello, got a presentation coming up next week! Do u mind sharing your materials with me jaccine.lee@gmail.com? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, really sorry I didn't get your request on time as I was busy with FYP myself. But I hope everything did went well for you :)

      Delete
  27. Hi Gerald, would you mind sharing your materials with me as well? :) My email is e0201227@u.nus.edu. thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! I take this course next semester! First of all thanks for the feedback! Could you send them to me as well :)
    mail: bibim_98@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi senior, I am considering this module for my next semester. So glad I found your blog post, and I appreciate your youtube video. Could you share your materials with me pls if you dm? Thank you! fireicemelon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! Thank you for the informative review. Could you kindly share with me your materials? woohyunnkai@gmail.com thanks alot in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Gerald, appreciate your detailed review. Would it be possible for me to have a copy of your materials too? avialim27@gmail.com - thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Gerald, would you mind sharing a copy of your materials with me too? e0293895@u.nus.edu, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your views :)