[NUS Module Review] GER1000: Quantitative Reasoning

GER1000: Quantitative Reasoning
(INTRODUCTION)
In case you're wondering why you do not have alternative GER modules, it's because there isn't any. It is compulsory for every student to take this GER module unless NUS accommodations like PGP, RVRC, and RC offer other alternatives for this module. Otherwise, for every student staying at home or in a hall, you're required to take this module as part of the 5 pillars of GE. This module has a certain element of mathematics like probability and regression, and lots of data analysis and comparisons.

(MY EXPECTATIONS)

To be honest, I had none. I'm pretty much like every other person that has to complete this compulsory module; just take it because you have to. I can't lie here. I wished that I could take another GET or GEH instead of this because there are much, much more interesting modules in those pillars. But its okay, I'll do what I have to do.

(SCHEDULE)

One of the best things about GER is that it has no lectures. This means it's a few hours reduced from your already burdened schedule. Lectures are instead converted to readings, which can be done at your own time and pace. There are videos provided to run you through the contents but I rather you read the transcript provided since it is faster.
Tutorials are only 2 hours.... once every alternate week!!! Great right? Those staying in hall will realllyyyyyyyy benefit from this as their lessons will be conducted within the hall itself. So you can save so much traveling time and have lessons within your premises.


(PASSING THE ASSESSMENT)

Unlike the simplicity in the schedule, the percentages of marks distributed for this module is pretty varied. These are the list:
  • IVLE Quizzes (10%)
  • Group Projects (27%)
  • Mid-terms (20%)
  • Finals (33%)
  • Tutorial Participation (10%)

IVLE quizzes span about 8 weeks in total with a total of 8 quizzes. The first quiz has a 3-week deadline while the second quiz has a 2-week deadline. From then on, every subsequent quiz has a 1-week deadline.
Group Projects, to me, are the worst. Simply because you're paired up with people you absolutely don't know, usually from a different course. If you're staying in a hall, there is a possibility that you are still able to work with your friends but then again, groupings are really random. The main issue really isn't so much about the groupings but rather the chemistry within the group... There usually isn't any chemistry. I've heard friends around me struggling with their own groups and by struggling, I mean backstabbing, not doing their own assigned portions of the project, not turning up for meetings...etc. So brace yourself for this portion of your grade.
For mid-terms and finals, time really isn't a limiting factor as you have more than ample time to complete the paper. However, the questions are realllyyyyyy tricky to the point that you might just second guess yourself. One mistake in this major exam and you can find yourself lagging behind the bell curve. That is how intense this module is.


(EXPERIENCE AND FINAL GRADING)

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't too thrilled having to do this module as I find other modules way more appealing and interesting. However, I was pleased with the schedule as well as the workload. It's not too taxing and the contents, though tricky, can be easily understood.
I didn't think I did really well for mid-terms as I was tricked by the questions left right and center, but I felt that I did way better for finals because the topics that I liked came out a lot.
Since I stayed in my hall, I have the privilege to work with people who I've at least seen before. We had some problem working together at the start but we still tried our best to work together till the end. Still, I feel that if we had more chemistry, we could achieve better results but it is what it is.


(CONCLUSION AND TIPS)

I will just say one thing. If you fall below the median in mid-terms, be prepared to get no higher than a B. That's the bell curve for you. 
One way to ensure that you're still competing with others taking the module for an A is to get full marks for EVERY SINGLE QUIZ. Don't ever underestimate that 1%. The bell curve is VERY, VERY STEEP and 1% can make all the difference in your A and B.
Sadly, content reading and practicing are insufficient to get you good results in GER1000. You need to be really careful with reading the questions and its options, and not to over think.


Ratings out of 5⭐:
  • Rigor - ⭐⭐
  • Degree of doability - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Bell Curve (to favour you) - ⭐
















Comments