[NUS Module Review] CM3292: Advanced Experiments in Analytical and Physical Chemistry


(INTRODUCTION)
Yes, if you heard the myth of CM3292... you probably know the real deal in Chemistry. Because according to many students in previous and current Chemistry cohorts, they would tell you that this is the final evolution of all possible Chem labs. They would tell you that this is the hardest Chem lab out of every possible Chem lab that you would ever come across. You would hear things like "It takes so much of your time", or like "I do this one lab I already wanna die." 

Ladies and Gents... I have finally taken this module (Initially wanted to take CM3291 first, but because my best friend was taking this, so I wanted to take this with him), and I hereby confirm... that this has to be... the best lab I've taken so far. So here to provide you with a controversial view on modules once again, but this time, I'm gonna be positive about a lab module for once.  

(LECTURERS)
The lecturers were Dr Chong Yuan Yi/Prof Fan Wai Yip and Dr Xu Hairuo. Possibly the best combination you would ever get in your Chemistry lab life. Because compared to CM2192, you would think the same person would take charge of this module again but nope! 

Dr Xu is, as you may have come to know her since the CM1131 days, a nice lecturer through and through. I've never seen her scold anyone or get angry at anyone. Not that she couldn't but she's like Dr Sarada. Much to the rumors saying that Dr Xu was mean during VIVA or whatnot, I assure you that she is otherwise to those rumors.

Dr Chong should be very familiar to most people taking Chemistry modules; a fun and simple guy who is always one with the students. Unlike other lecturers (wink wink), he actually gives two hoots about your welfare. But I wasn't under him so I could only say this much.

Prof Fan is someone who is new to me much like most people taking this module. I have not seen him taking other modules (or maybe he is teaching level 4000 modules), but wow! He is so chill. I know many people died under his VIVA (read on further to find out why), but I actually think that he's super caring, fair and really chill. So perhaps its down to perspective to see if you will find him great or not, but personally, I rate him man.

(EXPANSION OF TOPICS COVERED)
The lab topics covered include:
  • Soil/Nitrogen Oxide (Analytical Report**)
  • Essential Oil (Analytical)
  • Electrophoresis (Analytical)
  • Fluorescence (Analytical)
  • Solar Cell/Micellization (Physical Report**)
  • Nano-Particles/Liquid-Solid Adsorption (Physical)
  • Powdered X-Ray Diffraction (Physical)
  • Computational Chemistry (Physical)
**: Report may be different for different semesters.

The analytical part was LARGELY doable compared to the physical one. Mostly because the analytical one is something that you would probably understand better and test you on basic concepts more, while the physical one requires more new knowledge and advanced understanding when it comes to the concepts. As a whole, they are much easier than the experiments done in CM2192. The easier experiments would be the Essential Oil from the analytical side and PXRD from the physical side. To give a brief intro on what you be expecting:
  • Soil - Test the heavy metal components in the soil, and to compare and contrast two different locations for their heavy metal compositions. Require the use of t-test, f-test, ANNOVA etc.
  • Nitrogen Oxide - Didn't take this, but if I'm not wrong, you are required to test the amount of Nitrogen Oxide within an area and like soil, compare it to another area. This experiment also requires the use of the t-test, f-test, ANNOVA etc.
  • Essential Oil - Determine the component of an essential oil using Gas Chromatography - Mass Spec and headspace Solid Phase Micro Extraction
  • Electrophoresis - Determine the separation of three substances based on its movement across the buffer solution that is subjected to an electrical current
  • Fluorescence - Determine the fluorescence of Quinine and the factors affecting it
  • Solar Cell + Nano-particles - Not sure because I didn't take this
  • Micellization - Determine the critical micelle concentration and the factors that affect it
  • Liquid-Solid Adsorption - Understand the adsorption isotherms and using the equations to obtain the constants
  • Powdered XRD - Find the identity of the crystal and draw it using a software
  • Computational Chemistry - SN1 and SN2 using Gaussian (Nuff said)

(PASSING THE ASSESSMENT)
The grading for the assessments are much more evenly spread out in this module, as follows:
  • Reports and Pro-Formas - 50%
  • VIVA VOCE - 20%
  • Written Test - 30%
So it's pretty much the same thing for every other Chemistry lab module. We all know what VIVA VOCE is and if you're reading this and you don't know, please read my other blogs on lab modules.
For the written test, I do not remember calculations inside, if any. Maybe for PXRD because of the Bragg's Law but other than that, nah.

And I feel that a lot of people underestimate this a lot; the pre-labs. As you would know, CM3292 will require students to write a maximum 4-page pre-lab based on your understanding of the lab topic you are taking for that week. I say "underestimate" because I feel that through your pre-lab (handwritten by the way), you can actually see if one really put effort into it or not. It is DEFINITELY the most tedious thing you would have to do throughout the entire module simply because 4 pages x 8 labs = 32 pages of fully written stuff. And here's the big hint: One lab TA told us that whoever puts in effort in their pre-lab would get a higher grade because it shows that you are doing your homework. And it's true to a certain way because my pre-lab actually helped me in my VIVA studying and written test. Disclaimer that there are some people who do not put in the effort for pre-lab and still get an A for their report. But what do you have to lose if you put in the effort for your pre-lab?

(Schedule)
The schedule is similar to every other Chemistry lab module; 2 hours of lecture a week and a 6 hour lab filled with non-stop action. The 2 hours of lecture only applies to the first week (Introductory lecture) and the last week (Written Test). Videos are provided to help you understand the experiment. Though the only videos that are deemed as really helpful (according to personal opinion) are the experiments on Fluorescence, Electrophoresis and maybe PXRD. In the first week, there are also rumors that despite being mentioned that you are unable to swap with anyone within AP and PA, you may be able to do so if the person you wanna swap with comes along with you. Hmm...

(EXPERIENCE AND FINAL GRADING)
So lemme tell you about my module experience alright.

I took on this module with a surprisingly positive attitude. Normally, I would be dreading lab, but I didn't dread for this one; mainly because I got a chance to work with my best friend (The same lab mate I got in CM2191). And this chance only came about when Dr Chong allowed us to swap between AP to PA. This allowed me and my best friend to work with each other again. Tip here ah; work with your best friend. It just feels so much more productive and you're not like wishing ill on your partner half the time.

So after hearing the first lecture whereby you have to do pre-labs for every single lab, I honestly wasn't excited for it as you may perhaps infer from the earlier sections. In fact, I felt super sian hearing those words. Not that I haven't heard it from people who took this module before, but rather realizing that you must now get your shit together. Me and my partner had a plan for doing the pre-labs; since the pre-labs had to involve personal research on the topic and prior studying of the lab you are doing, me and my partner decided to split that part of the work so that it would be easier to write after that. 

And so my journey in CM3292 began; doing the Analytical part first. A VERY IMPORTANT TIP: TAKE CM3242 along with CM3292 and do the Analytical part first. Why? Because CM3242 covers GCMS, HS-SPME and Electrophoresis, the ideas you would need for the analytical part of CM3292. CM3242 will finish teaching those 3 things pretty early so you would be able to better understand the experiments in CM3292. Another plus point for doing so is VIVA, as you would not only have the stuff in CM3292 fresh in your mind, but also the stuff in CM3242 as well. 

Anyways, back to my story. So with regards to the pre-lab, I always put in my 110% effort in the pre-labs because I was somehow brainwashed (okay, not really so, but tryna be a lil bit edgy) to make my pre-lab super swee. And I can guarantee you that all of my pre-labs have always filled the 4 page mark without any cancellation. Yes, I was that OCD. Any mistake I made, I would crush that piece of paper and redo it all over again. That was how intense it was. Of course, you need not do that, but I guess you gotta be the very best like no one ever was. So you gotta do what you gotta do yaknow. 

Our labs were entertaining; with the TAs in the Analytical side better than the Physical side (again, my opinion). The experiments on the other hand, were not so fun. Soil was boring during the digging process, fluorescence was mostly dilutions, computational chemistry was Gaussian (need I say more?) and Micellisation and Liquid-Solid Adsorption seemed too robotic. The rest were generally okay. So be sure to have enough sleep before your lab days, cause I sure as heck didn't due to teaching tuition the night before and hence, I was dead tired whenever someone was explaining to me something. :( Forgive me please. 

And then came the dreaded VIVA. Now if you actually read my past lab module reviews, you would know that I would have ranted about VIVA in every single one of em. And that's how much I actually really hate VIVA. I think it's the wrong way to test a person's skill in the lab and I still do think it's a wrong way to test a person's ability because people who are able to cope with pressure in answering a question almost immediately and not mind blank after a question is imposed to you, will be better off than those who are so. Therefore, I feel that this method is the wrong method to test a person's ability when it comes to lab skills. However, I'm not gonna criticize VIVA today because I actually thought that this was the best two VIVAs I did hands down. Even I myself was stunned at how I was able to calm my nerves so well that I didn't get a mind blank or fail to answer any question. Since I was under Prof Fan, he did warn us that his VIVA was gonna be hard asf and that we should expect what grade we would get if we cannot answer his questions. This got me panicking a lot because Dr Sarada was such a nice VIVA examiner in CM2192 and I still got a mind blank from it. Now we have an examiner who is saying that we would not get a good grade if we are unable to answer the question. I'm more terrified than anything.

Furthermore, there wasn't the usual re-pick of lab questions from Prof Fan and Prof Xu (only Dr Chong allows that), and I was doomed if I were to pick soil (Hardest out of the 4 analytical labs). And when I picked essential oil, I was super duper happy. That was the choice I wanted. In the end he asked me questions like how to draw the structure of an essential oil compound and predict the NMR of the compound. These were the hard questions that were not within the lab manual itself, and while I couldn't get the NMR one right because I gave the IR spectra instead, I got the structure drawing somewhat correct. And the reason why I could answer such difficult questions was because of pre-lab. HAHAH now you get where the preparation comes from yeah. It really does help.

Next, Prof Xu VIVA was similar, except that she will help you should you get stuck for more than ten seconds, because that's how nice she is. Sometimes, she will help complete your sentences. I got PXRD as my choice, and while people thought that PXRD was the worst choice to get, I felt that it was okay. She kept my nerves down and again, I didn't get a mind blank. So of course these two VIVAs were the best ones because the other VIVAs I did were down right crap. LOL I can't believe I'm actually feeling the love for VIVA. :)

When it came to the written exam, Dr Chong's part was significantly easier than Prof Xu's part. Mainly because the experiments in Dr Chong's part were easier to understand. Again, studying the pre-lab does help and that you shouldn't neglect reading the lab manuals. CM3242 concepts will help in Dr Chong's part and if you were to take CM3212, it could help in PXRD. Other than that, if you actually did okay for the reports and VIVA, this should be okay for you. Not the toughest test I've ever taken out of all the written exams for lab that's for sure but still do not take this lightly. 
.
(CONCLUSION AND TIPS)
All I can say is that, CM3292 is not as hard as people make it out to be. It just requires a lot of effort being put into it. The logbook has been already removed from this module so it is already been made simpler. Pick a good partner, preferably do the analytical part first, and take CM3242 concurrently, and it would be manageable for you.

Ratings out of 5⭐:
  • Should you take this module - If you're a Chem student, 100% you have to take this module. Otherwise, for non-Chem students, you should take it ONLY if you are able to put in the necessary effort into this module and are confident in at least CM2192 skills.
  • Degree of Difficulty - ⭐
  • Effort Required - 
  • Timetable Impact - 
**For more queries, kindly comment down below or follow/dm my Instagram (_gera1d_). Thanks**

Comments

  1. Hello! Thanks for your review :) I'm taking CM3292 in the upcoming special term and was wondering if you have any related materials to share? Thanks so much in advance!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your views :)